Many a kitchen is bespeckled with out dated, less than attractive elements. Items such as faded cabinets, deeply scratched sinks, broken drawers, countertops with nicks and stains, oh I could go on with this list for another couple of pages. And while the overall design might be practical, these other things take away from those assets. And while more often than not, big things such as replacing appliances from an era gone by is not an option, actions can be taken to make a big improvement to the space. So, my advice is not to say, “if we can’t change the large things it is not worth fixing up the others.” Instead think of tackling the small as taking steps down a path that eventually could lead to the exchange of the 1980’s appliances.
Here is a list of potential home improvement projects to get you underway.
- Build window benches
- Retile the floor
- Bring in new window treatments
- Paint cabinets
- Attach new pulls/knobs to drawers
- Remove old grout and insert new
- Remove old caulk and insert new
- Paint the face of your refrigerator with chalkboard paint
- Paint the walls a new colour, or even just a fresh coat of the same colour
- Cut inserts out of cabinets and replace with frosted glass